History of Lithonia Baptist Church
Members of Macedonia Baptist Church conceived the idea of a Baptist church in Lithonia. As a result of this prayerful conversation a public meeting was held in the Lithonia School on December 31, 1847 with a view of constituting a Baptist church. The church was constituted on February 18, 1848.
There have been four buildings to house the congregation known for years as the Lithonia Baptist Church.
- Lithonia School, a one room log house with a dirt floor – first building
- Second was a frame building on the present First United Methodist site
- The third was constructed in 1861 on the corner of Stone Mountain and Main Streets
- The fourth site, a beautiful Sanctuary and Fellowship Hall building facing the I-20 expressway on Hillandale Drive was constructed in 1964-1965 and moved into on April 1966.
The History Room is located in the downstairs which houses some unique artifacts as well as pictures of all the former pastors as well as our present pastor. Some of the artifacts include:
- A Bible presented by John M. Phillips in 1882 to the church
- A Bible presented to the church by the Sunshine Class in November of 1925
- Stained glass window that came from the building downtown
- Sports trophies from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s
- Old platform chairs that match our Lord’s Supper Table and Podium
- An organ and a couple of pews from the past
We are very thankful for our rich history, which is impossible to condense in just a few paragraphs. We hope when you visit, you will be able to enjoy our history displays that tell the rest of the story. We look forward to a glorious future and a great harvest of souls for the Kingdom of God. May God continue to expand the influence of First Baptist Church Lithonia for many more generations!